Wednesday, September 28, 2011

New

Clara, Winton and I watched Ponyo for the first time about a month ago, and I loved it.  The director is Hayao Miyazaki, and the version we saw was dubbed in English.

It is anime, replete with characters with freakishly large eyes, but OMG, magical seascapes.  My favorites things are the beasties: prehistoric fish, giant squid, incandescent jellyfish, crabs, lobsters, and whales.  It made me miss the sea, for though we live in Baltimore, it feels so very far from clean water here.  Standing outside my house on yet another drizzly morning, it is inconceivable to me that there is ocean anywhere near us.  And yet in Halifax, where I lived in 2003 and 2004, the parking lot outside my apartment building sounded like the sea, so prevalent was the feeling of being in the maritimes.

Anyway, I was utterly absorbed by Ponyo, and netflix just took it off its streaming service.  So, I went online and bought the Studio Ghibli box set of Hayao Miyazaki films. 

I can't wait til they arrive!

Who the hell am I? 

No comments:

Post a Comment