Monday, June 27, 2011

Anxiety Redux

I have weaned myself off the little notebook in which I kept track of Clara and Winton's hours at preschool and daycare.  I used to write down exactly when I dropped off and picked up each child. At the end of the week I'd tally their hours.  For Clara (older) I aimed for about 36 hours or less per week.  For Winton (younger and at a daycare much closer to my work): 33.  Somewhere in my heart I believe(d) that every minute under 40 hours per week made them less of a daycare drone, and more able to bond with me.

I have to let that go because the clocks are killing me.  I can't live every day with the ominous belief that what is ticking away is my children's well-being.  I have a job.  I have to deal with it.

AND it is summer, which means that if there are an extra 10 minutes under a school sprinkler here or there, they are relieved by extra holidays (July 4 coming up!) which mean entire days at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment