Thursday, November 4, 2010

Dagummit, child

So, yesterday I left school before the 3.30 faculty meeting so I could get my kids at the normal time (and because I DO have some kind of lung infection: a doctor said so, and gave me amoxicillin for it). 

The kids pick up/ faculty meeting schedule conflict gives me grief every month though.  I am usually healthy and so have to claim the following as an excuse instead of illness:

Yes, I know.  It's MY JOB to be at the faculty meeting.  Yes, I know, staying til 5 shouldn't cause the world to fall  down around me.  And yet.  The immense difference that hour and a half makes to the manageability of getting two young children home, fed, bathed, boobed (only Winton), read to and then put to bed.  A 3.30pm start has them both in bed  by 7 (good because they get up before 6 most days): 3.5 hours of hard work on my part.  A 5 pm start gets them in bed well, 3.5 hours later IF I can manage to keep them on track, but they are tireder by then as am I, so we lose the track quite easily.  Means I don't get to start cooking dinner for adults until 8.30.  And the kids still get up before 6 the next morning.  And everyone is exhausted.  It's a trainwreck that spans an evening AND the next day.

Does this look like an excessively defensive justification for skipping meetings? 
Perhaps.

Anyway, I left school yesterday at 3.30.  On arriving to get Clara, work guilt tying my head in knots, she ran away from me, screaming over her shoulder, "Go back to work, Mummy!". 

Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment