Friday, September 21, 2012

Cycles

On Tuesday morning, I was a basket of cranky while doing the double-drop-off of my children.  I was further provoked by the apparent good cheer of some parents.

This morning, all was good on my drop off AND I had the surprisingly rich pleasure of seeing a mother, one I had noticed being cheerful and playful on Tuesday morning, snap at her youngest child to "Chop chop now!" in response to which the child burst into tears.

Ahh.  Relief.  Everyone is horrid when trying to get somewhere on time.  Everyone discovers too late that they have reached the end of their tether, they are past the outer limits of their emotional resources, they have spilt all their patience already.  Eventually everyone finds, when they reach for calm, effective parenting techniques that all they have left over in their bag of tricks is snippiness and irascibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment