Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mommy is a monster

If I write this down now, they'll have notes for therapy later.

1) Blankets.
Clara and Winton both have security blankets to which they are very attached ("Pink Blankie" and "Neh Neh" [Night Night]). 

a) A year ago we went on holiday to a cabin in the woods.  Our old dog May and her blankie came.  May, upset, pooped all over her blanket the first night we were there and, because we were on holiday in a cabin in the woods,  Mummy threw May's blankie away.   Clara still has nightmares involving accidentally pooping on Pink Blankie and Mummy throwing it away.

b)  Winton's Neh Neh got washed on the weekend, which made it stink even more for reasons I cannot fathom.  Being separated from Neh Neh is intolerably painful to Winton (or so his yelling implies).  I was telling Maria about the stink problem this morning at daycare, and Winton, hearing "wash" and thinking I was about to take his Neh Neh away again, began shrieking inconsolably, and would not stop until I was out of Maria's garden with the gate closed firmly behind me.

2)  Potty troubles.

a)  Clara has been two whole days at preschool  with no pull up!  Mummy was very proud the first day, and distractedly proud the second (her brother was messing with the spigots on the school's water cooler when she told me the second time).  Mummy was also very very tired yesterday (her brother waking up at 5 far too regularly, a bad day teaching, a sore throat that has been on-again, off-again since school started).  Last night, Clara wanted to wear underpants to bed and Mummy said no.  No??  Am I out of my mind?  The child is 3.5 years old.  The voice of a colleague whose children have been potty trained since 18 mos. resounds in my head.  But but but .  . . I didn't want to clean a wet bed.  I didn't want to get up numerous times in the night to take her to the toilet.  I am a bad mother.


b)
Wait.  Winton is almost 20 months.  Should he be potty trained now too?  But but but . . . when I put him on the toilet he cries until I let him stuff wads of toilet paper in.  And when he pees in the bath (the bubbles move) he alarms himself and (quite sensibly) insists on getting out.

No comments:

Post a Comment