Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hungry Love

I'm the kind of mother that faces the prospect of being away for 5 days with absolute dread: what if they miss me horribly?  What if they don't miss me?  What if my plane crashes and they are too young to remember how much I love them?

I feel like this (but where Fertig writes "girl" I'd be thinking both girl and boy):

Hungry Mother (by Mona Fertig)

This little girl is ours, this little girl is beautiful.
I could love her to death.  Consume her like D'Sonoqua,
the wild woman of the woods.  But my feast would be gentle.
I would hug and kiss her until she sank back into my flesh.
Like warm honey and butter on toast.  Now I understand
why the witch wanted to eat Hansel and Gretel.  That was
no fairy tale.  Only the unfathomable side of my love.
My all-consuming hunger to be one again with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment